This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we will store and handle that data.
We know there’s a lot of information here but we want you to be fully informed about your rights.
We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but, if not, please do get in touch with us.
Personal information we collect
Personal information is data relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. An identifiable natural person is someone who can be distinguished, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier, or to one or more factors specific to that natural person.
We do not consider personal information to include information that has been anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether in combination with other information or otherwise.
We collect personal information from you when you subscribe to newsletters or engage with other services we may provide.
We collect personal information from you and any devices (including mobile devices) you use when you: subscribe to communication from us, register for an account on a website, provide us with information on a web form, update or add information to your profile or preferences, or when you otherwise correspond with us.
Some of this personal information, such as a way to identify you, is necessary for us to be able to communicate with you. The provision of all other personal information is voluntary.
We may also collect personal information from other sources, as described below.
Personal information you give us when you register with us or use our services
- Identifying information such as your name, postal address or email address when you subscribe to communications from us.
- Information you provide in the course of making a financial donation, though we do not store bank account or credit card numbers.
- In some instances, if you respond to a survey you may voluntarily provide us with your age, gender or interests.
- You may also provide us with other information: through a web form; by updating or adding information concerning your communication preferences; through your participation on social media; through personal communications, online chat sessions, or when you otherwise communicate with us regarding our work and services.
Personal information we collect automatically when you register for an account with us or use any services we offer
- Information about your communications with us and your interaction with our services. This is information we receive from the devices (including mobile) you use when you access our services or visit our website. This information could include: device ID or unique identifier and device type.
- Location information, including location information from your mobile device. Keep in mind that most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services by any application on your mobile device in the device’s settings menu.
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your web page views, traffic to and from the sites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history and your web log information.
Personal information we collect using cookies and similar technologies
- For more information about our use of these technologies, and how to control them, see Cookies and similar technologies.
Personal information collected from other sources
- We may supplement the personal information we collect with information collected from third parties. For example, we may collect and use demographic and other information that is publicly available as allowed by applicable national laws.
- If you give us personal information about someone else, you must do so only with that person’s authorization. You should inform them how we collect, use, disclose, and retain their personal information according to our Privacy Notice.
How we use your personal information
- We use your personal information to improve our services, provide you with personalized communications, communicate with you about your engagement with us and our services, and to detect, prevent, mitigate and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities.
- We use the personal information we collect from you for a range of different purposes and according to different legal bases of processing. The following is a summary of how and according to which legal bases we use your personal information.
We use your personal information to provide you with our communications and services, to comply with our legal obligation, protect your vital interest, or as may be required for the public good. This includes:
- To provide donation processing and account preference management, operate, measure and improve our services, keep our services safe, secure and operational and customize site content that includes communications and services that you may value in response to actions that you take.
- To contact you regarding your record, to troubleshoot problems with your record, to resolve any dispute or to provide you service.When contacting you for such purposes as outlined above, we may contact you via email, telephone, SMS/text messages, postal mail and via mobile push notifications.
- To provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information.
- We use general location information to provide you with location based services (such as search results, appropriate giving information and other personalized content).
- To prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
- To enforce this Privacy Notice or other policies.
We use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests. We have implemented controls to balance our interests with your rights. This includes:
- To improve our services, for example by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages experienced by users, allowing us to identify and fix problems and give you a better experience.
- To personalize, measure, and improve our communication based on your communication customization preferences.
- To contact you via email or postal mail in order to poll your opinions through surveys or questionnaires and inform you about our services, as authorized by applicable law.
- To contact you about public policy matters, or other current events, related to your ability to use our services.
- To deliver targeted communication, service updates, and other communications based on your communication preferences and site activities.
- To measure the performance of our email campaigns (e.g. by analyzing open and click rates).
- To monitor and improve the information security of our site and mobile applications.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
How can I exercise my Data Subject rights?
If you would like to access, review, update, rectify, and delete any Personal Information we hold about you, or exercise any other data subject right available to you under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you can email our privacy team directly. Our privacy team will examine your request and respond to you as quickly as possible.
Please note that we may still use any aggregated and anonymized Personal Information that does not identify any individual, and may also retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
Where possible, security measures are set in place to prevent unauthorized access to our cookies and similar technologies. A unique identifier ensures that only we and/or our authorized service providers have access to cookie data.
Service providers are companies that help us with various aspects of our business, such as site operations, services, applications, advertisements and tools. We use some authorized service providers to help us to serve you relevant content on our services and other places on the internet. These service providers may also place cookies on your device via our services (third-party cookies). They may also collect information that helps them identify your device, such as IP-address or other unique or device identifiers.
What are cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies?
Like most sites, we use technologies that are essentially small data files placed on your computer, tablet, mobile phone or other devices (referred to collectively as a ‘device’) that allow us to record certain pieces of information whenever you visit or interact with our sites, services, applications, messaging and tools.
The specific names and types of the cookies, web beacons and other similar technologies we use may change from time to time. In order to help you better understand this policy and our use of such technologies we have provided the following limited terminology and definitions:
Cookies: small text files (typically made up of letters and numbers) placed in the memory of your browser or device when you visit a website or view a message. Cookies allow a website to recognize a particular device or browser.
There are several types of cookies:
- Session cookies expire at the end of your browser session and allow us to link your actions during that particular browser session.
- Persistent cookies are stored on your device in between browser sessions, allowing us to remember your preferences or actions across multiple sites.
- First-party cookies are set by the site you are visiting
- Third-party cookies are set by a third-party site, separate from the site you are visiting.
Cookies can be disabled or removed by tools that are available in most commercial browsers. The preferences for each browser will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options.
Web beacons: small graphic images (also known as ‘pixel tags’ or ‘clear GIFs’) that may be included on our sites, services, applications, messaging and tools, that typically work in conjunction with cookies to identify our users and user behavior.
Similar technologies: technologies that store information in your browser or device, utilizing local shared objects or local storage, such as flash cookies, HTML 5 cookies and other web application software methods. These technologies can operate across all of your browsers, and in some instances may not be fully managed by your browser and may require management directly through your installed applications or device. We do not use these technologies for storing information to target advertising to you on or off our sites.
We may use the terms ‘cookies’ or ‘similar technologies’ interchangeably in our policies to refer to all technologies that we may use to store data in your browser or device or that collect information or help us identify you in the manner described above.
We offer certain site features, services, applications and tools that are available only through the use of these technologies. You are always free to block, delete or disable these technologies if your browser, installed application or device so permits. However, if you decline cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain site features, services, applications or tools. You may also be required to re-enter your password more frequently during your browsing session. For more information on how you can block, delete or disable these technologies, please review your browser or device settings.
Generally, these technologies allow our sites, services, applications and tools to store relevant information in your browser or device and later read that information in order to identify you to our servers or internal systems. Where applicable, we protect our cookies and other similar technologies to help ensure that only we and/or our authorized service providers can interpret them by assigning them a unique identifier that is designed for interpretation only by us. We do not store any of your personal information on any of our cookies or other similar technologies.
Any personal information that we collect and store through use of these technologies is first obtained through notice and consent. We obtain your consent by providing you with transparent notice of use of the technologies and providing you with the opportunity to make a choice to disable these technologies as set forth above.
Our uses of such technologies fall into the following general categories:
- Personalization or targeting related. We may use first-party or third-party cookies and web beacons to deliver content, including content relevant to your interests, on our sites or on third party sites. This includes using technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the marketing and content that have been delivered to you, such as whether you have clicked on a marketing advertisement.
Use of these technologies by authorized third-party service providers
We may work with third-party companies, commonly known as service providers, who are authorized to place third-party cookies, web beacons or similar technologies for storing information on our sites or in our services, applications and tools with our permission. These service providers help us to provide you with a better, faster and safer experience.